There are seven steps to progress from a learner to a full licence:
- Pass the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) – get your learner licence
- Hold your learner licence for at least 12 months, and complete 120 hours of supervised driving practice, including 20 hours of night driving (unless you’re 25 or older)
- Pass the Driving Test – get your provisional P1 (red) licence
- Hold your P1 licence for at least 12 months
- Pass the Hazard Perception Test (HPT) – get your provisional P2 (green) licence
- Hold your P2 licence for at least two years (24 months)
- Pass the Driver Qualification Test (DQT) – get your full licence.